Breakfast (lovingly prepared by David, Andy, and Jillian S) consisted of just enough protein, carbs, and fresh fruit to fuel us for our trip to the urban garden. During the mission trip here to Lexington last year, our team helped prep an empty lot next to Geoff and Sherry's house for a garden. Two members of our team last year built a chicken coop, and a spot was prepared for bee hives. One year later, this year's team was able to see the fruit of that labor, not to mention God's goodness. A sign on the fence into the garden says, "Bees Live Here." Bees, chickens, and God Himself live in this beautiful place. The garden is just 1/10 of an acre, but to the "food desert" that is Lexington, that 1/10 is a metropolis of goodness.
After our work weeding, watering, and mulching the fruit orchard, we got in snack, and then geared up for our first day of camp. A few words from our kids and some pictures of the day will follow. It was a GREAT first day!
- It was fun today working with all of the cute little kids at camp. I did some magic tricks for the kids. They were AMAZED-(so *clang*, Haviland) I am documenting Lego Bob's adventures as well. Video to follow... (Houston)
- Bees, bees, and more bees. I got some fresh eggs from the chickens. They were heavy! (Trey)
- I liked teaching the kids the games and playing the games with them. (Andy)
- It was great seeing our kids teaching and leading the games at camp. Although they are ministering to kids their own age, our kids really stepped up and did the work. It was also great seeing the smiles of all the kids! (David)
- I was super, super impressed (and let's be honest, a little jealous) with the urban garden! It was cute how our "city kids" thought picking a red (not ripe) blackberry would be a raspberry. (Amber)
- My favorite part of the day- all 6 girls piled around me on the couch watching Potter Puppet Pals. (Jillian C.- from here forward known as Ms. J)
- I love helping the kids make crafts today. (Emily)
- I like shoveling the dirt...but don't get any ideas dad! (Jillian S.- from here forward known as Just Jill)
- I thought taking wheelbarrows of mulch across traffic to put on the trees was awesome...seriously! (Emma)
- I enjoyed putting soil around the trees in the orchard and helping kids do the crafts at camp. (Maggie)
- I met the cutest baby ever! (Louise)
- I was exhausted by "flat on back time" so I REALLY liked that! (Alexa)
Now we're all tired....
...so all the little bees are going to bed...to dream of fresh chicken eggs, wheelbarrows full of mulch, lots of games yet to be played, crafts yet to be made, and God's work yet to be done.



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post Miss Penny. Looks like all the bees were buzzing that first day. Amber said everyone went to bed excited & tired. I'm glad that traffic broke up when it did. Someone was about to experience some Ky road rage
ReplyDeleteI am sure that everyone went to bed with a feeling of accomplishment and that "Good Tired" feeling in their backs. Thanks to the Chaperones for taking their valuable time to help these fantastic kids minister and learn to be servant leaders to their peers. Most especially to Miss Penny though. Your tireless efforts are what is making this a success.
ReplyDelete